Sunday, January 31, 2010

Book I, 1001 Arabian Nights, The Pillow Book

After reading the excerpts from "Book I", "1001 Arabian Nights", and "The Pillow Book" I found myself wondering why we read them together. I think that one reason we read both "Book I" and "1001 Arabian Nights" because they both seem to have a similar message about them. This is that they talk about God, goddesses, and other members of higher authority of that time period. I did question why we read these with "The Pillow Book", but then remembered that we will be reading more of this later on and figured that this was just added because we are going to be reading it more indepth later on. When I heard we were going to be reading some of the story "1001 Arabian Nights" I was a bit excited because I know that this is a story that the disney movie Aladdin was based on and I had never gotten the chance to read any of it. I was interested to see how the real story went and how it has changed over the years in translation and through the disney movie. "The Pillow Book" was interedting to start reading because I thought that it was written in kind of a journal form and I like books like this because it keeps me engaged in the different stories of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment