Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I found both readings to be somewhat dry and difficult to follow. Although they were not something I would particularly choose to read on my spare time, I did find them just slightly intriguing. Arnold's "Preface to Culture and Anarchy" has an unique way of interpreting The Bible. He questions many obscure factors that I, myself would not have contemplated so deeply about. He seems to be a very philosophical man; yet I think he is almost too opinionated for such a profound topic. He did make some valid statements, and some were hard for me to fully understand. However, I do not believe it is neccessarilary factual to say that religion makes up a good, true person. A few may find this to be rather offensive. In some ways, the two readings (when compared to Williams's "Literature") gave me a more open perception of the way literature affects me and other people in the world. I really looked at how much literature has changed over the years, and what has become of it today. When asked, what is literature? Sure there is an old-fashioned definition, but can it fully be explained? There are so many ways to interpret it. To think that The Bible is still so fascinating to this day, when most texts have changed greatly to follow changes over decades, really astounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment