Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Perec and Matthews

After reading Matthews excerpt, it gave me a much better understanding of the Oulipo and how it really must have been to write an entire book without a certain letter. In the last class I had to do an exercise where I had to write what I did in the morning without using the vowel "e". I couldn't even get past the first sentence without be stuck. It makes it that much harder to believe that Perec did a whole book with this type of structure. Reading the book, I found myself getting more distracted because I wanted to prove him wrong and find an "e". Because of that, I lost track of what I was reading, and I felt like I lost the plot and what the whole basis of the book was about. It made me curious and wanting to know if Perec had an idea that this was going to happen with his readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment