Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dickinson & Stein, Correcting Blind Spots

Reading some of Emily Dickinson’s poems, I could see how her poems were much different from Berrigan and the Shakespearean way of writing we focused on this past week. Dickinson’s rhythm and rhyme, as well as the language she uses, are much different from the Shakespearean format, but I liked it a lot. For whatever reason, her poems came more naturally as I read them. I liked Gertrude Stein’s poems a lot as well. Her very unconventional way of writing is so unique. Some of her poems are written in full sentences while others like “New” are merely one-word lines. As far as Susan Howe’s “My Emily Dicksinon,” any blind spots that I have from the discussions we had last week are much the opposite of corrected; I’m not quite sure what her overall purpose/statement is.

No comments:

Post a Comment