Sunday, February 28, 2010

Things Fall Apart

I read 'Things Fall Apart" in my high school critical literature class. I was actually glad that this class requires me to read it again because I'd like to see how the text is analyzed. The approach of this class is very different from my high school class. From my experience in this course, I feel that we won't analyze 'Things Fall Apart' simply for the symbols or motifs or themes, but for its importance within itself and within literature.

Reading this book again at an older age is very different. I understand the system of the tribes and family since I have learned about similar non-Western lifestyles. I am going into this with a more open mind. I am taking Okonkwo as a protagonist and trying not to shut down if the situations involving him frustrate me. Also, I am particularily interested in the relationship between Okonkwo and Ezinma because father-daughter relationships are coming up in much of what I'm currently studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment