Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sonnets

I love poetry, but I seem to have a slight problem with strict poetry. I find that forms ,like sonnets, can really restrict what poet is trying to say. It's hard to keep a rhyme creative and fresh when it's so easy to fall into cliche words. I can however respect any poet that does have a mastery over language and has the ability to write poems that are clever and new. That's why I can enjoy Shakespeare, he was able to create amazing works, but he never was redundant. The only task that comes to mind while reading anything by Shakespeare is the language that he used. It's outdated and at times may be hard to understand. Which is why someone like Berrigan is great to read. His work is more accessible to the modern reader. He is giving off that Shakespearean vibe, but maintains simpler language. It's nice to read through a sonnet and have it be straight forward and you can take something from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment