Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Emily Dickison

Susan Howe is presenting a new way to read Dickinson. I a way she is telling readers to read Dickinson's poems with out her gender in mind, but there is also the catch of reading her poems with a feminine voice. One of the questions presented was finding the the feminine voice in poems that use a masculine form. It was a hard concept to try to figure. I makes you question what and how you Dickinson. I like to read her as mold breaker and how she fit into a masculine literary world. It's poets like Dickinson that laid the ground work for other writers like Gertrude Stein. I almost consider her to be a "modern day" Dickinson. They both created works that didn't rely on their gender. Both women could write gender neutral works that were groundbreaking. I really enjoyed comparing these two writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment