Sunday, February 28, 2010

Things Fall Apart

This week’s reading was from “Part 1” of the book Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. I really enjoyed reading this book and found that the main character and his tribe have some cultural similarities to my culture. For example, his culture believes in karma and what most people today would call superstition. My culture is also superstitious and calls upon the ancestors or gods to try to correct the wrong if one were committed. It’s interesting though to see the difference in cultures. Although I was born in the United States I still hold on to who I am; the culture, traditions, beliefs, but the assimilation into the American culture is inevitable. It would interesting to read on and see how Okonkwo and his village deals with the European missionaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment