Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ways of Seeing & Coming to Terms

In the first chapter of Coming to Terms, Harris talks about the importance of understanding and interpreting text. He says that most people just read the text the way the writer wrote it. When a reader just reads the text though, they may not understand. Harris suggests reading the text closer and in more depth to give us a better interpretation. Reading closer may involve re-reading. I find myself having to do this very often when I read. If I don't understand what I'm reading, then what's the point?
John Berger's piece reminded me a lot of Benjamin's from Monday's reading. He talks about how art changes society, both present and future. Berger also commented that reproducing art distorts the original meaning. I would say I have to agree with that. A copy or reproduction of a sculpture, painting, or even film is rarely better than the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment