Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Pillow Book, S/Z, Rewriting

I really enjoyed the second excerpt in "The Pillow Book". I like how she notices everyday things like the dew dangling from a spider web. I especially liked the line "The tears they shed on parting will turn to dew when morning comes." I just thought it was really beautiful. In the S/Z essay I found it hard to understand some parts but it helped me realize some things about reading literature that I never thought of before. I liked it when he talked about re-reading texts. That's the best thing to do (which people often don't do); to read a really good book, lend it out to a couple of people, then when you get it back you re-read it yourself and maybe find something new and exciting that you didn't catch the first time around. The intro to "Rewriting" was fine I suppose, we're going to learn about writing critical essays and try to compare literature to our everyday experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment