Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Pillow Book, S/Z

Reading the Pillow Book with some background information on the author and time period it was produced from gives me a slightly different viewpoint on it. I understand the public journal style of writing, which is an interesting concept. I have some experience writing that sort of journal but only that I knew my teacher would read, which isn't the same type of "public" the author relays information to. Shonagon seems very aware of her audience, which is very unlike a true diary. She states once that she will include certain things in her work, even if the reader will take them as unpleasant.

S/Z's importance was lost on me. At this point, upon my first overwhelming reading, I don't know how this reading correlates to learning about literature. I can pretty much grasp what is being said, but I think it is overly complicated. Maybe my trouble comprehending the piece is completely personal, but I had a hard time taking very much from it. I did find importance in the idea that rereading is taking the writing out of chronological context. When you're reading something, there is only what has already happened and what is presently happening and then the future is completely seperate and can only be approached in a linear progression. When you reread a piece, it's not cyclical but the information is all within reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment