Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"Intro to Rewriting," "S/Z," "The Pillow Book"

The introduction to Rewriting basically gave an overview of how the book aims to sharpen one's writing skills. It seems pretty interesting. I know I can always use improvement. I really enjoyed reading this second excerpt of "The Pillow Book" after we discussed it in class. I focused on why she wrote what she did and what that says about her culture. I especially enjoyed the part about the morning dew and her witticisms about men. S/Z brought up some good points about actively reading and analyzing the text. Barthes comments on writerly and readerly works was a unique and intriguing way to think about literature and how one enjoys it. That is one thing I really value about literature, one can really read a work on so many different levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment