Monday, February 8, 2010

Rashomon and Walter Benjamin

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed Rashomon. I was a little hesitant at first, not knowing what to expect. After watching it, one can defiantly understand how Rashomon can be considered a piece of literature, with its use of symbolism and multiple perspective. As much as I appreciated the literary qualities of the film, I am still very curious as to how this will fully relate to what we have been discussing in class. Walter Benjamin takes a look at art and how art has changed with the advent of mechanical reproduction. It is because of mechanical reproduction that most of us have access to art. My copy of the DVD Rashomon is a mechanical reproduction of the original, for example. The idea of what is art changes with technology, as the modes of mechanical reproduction change as technology changes and the modes of mechanical reproduction make art available to be appreciated. A factor is what is considered art is that people have access to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment