Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Rashomon" and "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction"

After finding out we were assigned to watch Rashomon, a movie that was in Japanese, and had only some subtitles throughout, I automatically thought it was going to be horrid. I figured I was going to spend all my time trying to read the subtitles, rather than get the full view of what the movie was supposed to be about. For the parts that had the subtitles, I did think it was harder to grasp the understanding, but where there were no subtitles at all, I felt, as though, I could really take in the art of the movie.

When I finished reading, "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction," I saw instantly the connection between the movie and the reading. In Benjamin's essay, he talks about how an original piece of artwork is more unique than something that was redone or reproduced. He mentions that it takes away from the art by doing this. That's where I saw the connection between the movie and the reading. I believe, if the movie did not have the subtitles, it would have given the viewer a better chance to see the art of the movie as it was intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment