Sunday, February 7, 2010

Rashomon & The Work of Art...

I, like almost everyone else, was not looking forward to having to watch a movie with subtitles at first. To my surprise though, the movie actually ended up being pretty good. Thankfully there weren't a whole lot of subtitles, which can get distracting, so I was able to actually enjoy the movie. After finishing the movie and reading the passage it was obvious there was a direct correlation. The reading caused me to think of film as more of an art form. I never have really thought of film as art before. I mean, who really thinks of Superbad or The Hangover as being anything close to art? When something is changed from its original form, Benjamin says, it is no longer unique. I can definitely see this in the movie. What if the movie were to be re-made in English with American actors? I don't think the movie would have as much of an impact as it is in its original form.

No comments:

Post a Comment