Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Flarf

Last week we were asked to look at conceptual writing or "uncreative writing." For this week we were asked to look at flarf poems and the way in which they are formulated by using technology. When I first started reading the flarf poems I didn't know what to think because I had never seen poetry quite like it before. Although, as I kept reading the poems, they actually started making sense, not complete, but still I was able to see meanings within the poems. One thing I enjoyed with the poems was the use of popular culture that manifested in certain poems. An example of this being in K. Silem Mohammed's "Dear Head Nation and Breathalyzer," where he references the band Bloc party and actresses Teri Hatcher and Claire Danes. These references to pop culture made the poem seem more real to me because I was able to see these connections and how they could relate to people and their lives. We were asked to create a flarf poem of our own, here's mine:
The scenes were surreal
Floating orbs and bubbles
Knocking everything off.
I settle back into my seat.
The charming video of a
Plastic bag floating.
But the plot has an evil twist
Living their lives in frustration
Masks make up the arrogant people.

No comments:

Post a Comment