Thursday, April 15, 2010

Flarf/conceptual art

As of right now, conceptual art is my favorite thing we have discussed so far. It just amazes me to see these works of art, and I was sitting and thinking "how come I didn't think of that?" It made me think of what I would do for a conceptual art piece, but I just kept thinking of things that have already been done. And then that made me think of my problem with the words creativity and inspiration. I believe they are total paradoxes and don't really exist, but then I had another thought. I finally came to the conclusion that true inspiration is all about spontaneity and anything after is just imitation. An extreme example I discussed with group was me picking up my laptop and throwing it against the wall. No explanation, just an action. If anyone else threw something it would just be coping my action and not really being creative or inspired. Back to conceptual art though, I like how it ties back in with the idea of restraints. To be a conceptual artist you have "think outside the box" while at the exact same time your art is the box. Meaning the art you make has that ordinary feel, but the whole thing was planned to be like that. So like a novel like A Void in itself is like a piece of conceptual art. Perec writes a novel, not so uncommon, but the added element of the missing E makes it a piece of work. It's so interesting and completely complex to try and think of new conceptual piece.


This is my attempt at a flarf poem

English-Japanese (Kanji) translation for moist, fleshy fruit
ChaCha has the answer to this question:
You can do this with a lighter or match. ...
36 Hippocrates concludes that as a result of their excessively moist complexion
You wouldn't expect to find a large, fleshy, moist mushroom in the middle of the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment