Sunday, April 11, 2010

Uncreative Writing

Uncreative writing strikes me as an author centric exercise meaningful to the author, but requiring rigorous analysis by a reader to understand. As an experiment in reducing writing to nothing more than a concept, I think it interesting, except how can writing ever be just an idea to the author. I guess I am assuming an emotional connection to the writing that will always compromise the purity of the idea. Emotions are unavoidable, not to say this writing has to be emotionless, it just seems the writer are desperately attempting to distill writing to concepts. What I find compelling is how difficult it must be to write uncreatively. Imagination is something we exercise our entire lives without a thought. To suppress the natural creative tendencies must be like trying not to breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment