Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lost

I started watching Lost this year after my friend convinced me to. Therefore, when I learned that part of our assignment would be to watch some episodes from the show, I was really excited. I didn't know that "The Invention of Morel" was what some of Lost was based off of but now every time I watch Lost, I can't help but see some of the parallels the two have. Looking at the episodes "The Constant" and "The Variable," we see this idea of time travel and illusions. In "The Constant," we as viewers are taken on a journey with Desmond, through his flashbacks and having watched the show, this episode cleared up some questions I had about Desmond, but if I wasn't a regular viewer, I think the thing that would strike me the most about this episode is the idea destiny and its relationship to time. In "The Variable," we are taken on a journey through Faraday's perspective and once again we see that destiny and time play a key role with one another. This got me thinking back to "The Invention of Morel," because it made me look at the machine that supposedly created images of these people and how the fugitive believed them to be real. This led me to be even more confused about Lost because having seen a lot of the episodes you are never sure what will happen or even if by the end of the series, what we saw actually occurred. I am definitely looking forward to discussion this week and reading the fan fiction to see what some other perspectives may pop up.

No comments:

Post a Comment