Sunday, March 14, 2010

Frankenstein and The Invention of Morel

Science fiction is generally the one literary genre that I have a hard time connecting with. I’m more attracted to stories that I feel are applicable to my life, and stories based around something completely fantastical have never really appealed to me. However, I greatly admire Mary Shelley’s ability to create a realistic atmosphere to an otherwise completely unrealistic idea. It really helps that she begins her story with letters from Captain Robert Walton, giving the reader a more intimate look into the protagonist and setting him in a more believable light.
Aside from Frankenstein itself, I was very surprised by the fact that Shelley started writing the book at 18 and was published by 20. Not only did I stereotypically assume that the book was written by a man, but I never thought the author was so young. This information made me respect the work a lot more. Also, the fact that a work has stayed relevant for almost two centuries is an incredible feat. This week’s readings gave me a greater respect for a genre that I had otherwise completely disregarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment