Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Surrealism

Without having watched “Lost” before, I was initially really confused watching this episode; I wasn’t sure what was real and what wasn’t. For a moment, I thought that the entire thing (people stranded on the island) was some sort of fiction that the guy was making up in his head. Much like “The Invention of Morel,” the stories were portrayed in such a real manner that it was very hard to tell what isn’t real. I think it’s interesting that both stories are set on an island. Why aren’t these stories set in natural settings of life? Would it be harder to distinguish what is real/absurd or not? I really enjoyed both of these stories because they portray a fiction so well that it very well could be true; they're more than just a fantasy... they might as well be real stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment