Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Void & Lipograms

I found the readings for the next class to be very intriguing to me. It is astonishing to me that anyone could write a whole book of poems, that makes sense and everything, without including the letter "e." I can understand using lipograms in writing poetry, but a novel seems like a huge task to take on. The main question that popped in my head was why anyone would ever want to do such a thing. Talk about making a task that is already difficult even harder. Maybe Perec was just getting bored with writing and wanted to challenge himself. Lipograms give more of an artistic and problem solving approach to writing. I looked up "lipogram" in wikipedia just to find out some more information. There, they gave a paragraph that defined lipogram and then used that some paragraph, but omitted the letter "e." You could definitely see that the second paragraph had a very weird tone to it. It sounded very scholarly and too wordy for me, but it was an interesting observation and made me laugh to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment