Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Things Fall Apart

I enjoyed parts 2 & 3 better than I enjoyed part 1. Maybe it was because I got into the story more, or because I really started to understand how Achebe was portraying Africans. It's interesting how there is a duality between the savage and the civilized. I think it is something that all people have to deal with, not just Africans. All people are essentially savage animals that have been trained to interact a certain way. One cannot really judge which is better: animalistic anarchy or repressed identity and urges. I don't know exactly what to make out of Okonkwo's suicide. It was not exactly surprising because of his erratic behavior, which underlines the savage way that people give into impulse. Maybe that is the point, savage impulses will do you in....

No comments:

Post a Comment