Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Short Stories 2

For Wednesday's class we read some more short stories. I found that most of the stories were very engaging. I enjoyed the different writing styles used in these short stories and thought of them as inviting. "Mr. Palomar" started off with a graphic description of two turtles mating on a patio. For me, the first few sentences of a piece of literature, especially a short story, give me an idea of how interesting it is going to be. Needless to say after the first sentence of Mr. Palomar, I was strangely intrigued to keep reading. At first I wondered why we were reading a transcript from an episode of the Discovery channel's Planet Earth, but then later realized it was being described from Mr. Palomar's point of view. It's very important for a story, especially one so short to grab the readers attention. Most of these stories did just that. I also enjoyed the story of the most handsomest drowned man. This caught my attention right as well, with the authors unique and grabbing writing style. It made me want to read more and find out where it was all going. The ability for a piece of reading to do that is one of my favorite things about literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment