Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Short Stories

The stories for this week seemed to be more abstract and they didn't follow the "normal" pattern usually followed when writing a story. The stories from monday seemed very straight forward, and told stories of men most of whom disliked their jobs, and in certain circumstances the repetitiveness of everyday life. I feel as if the short stories we had to read for Wednesday, are composed more so like the way I think or speak especially when I get excited about something. I will start to talk about something and then speed up and quickly change topics because I just thought about something else I wanted to say that in that moment was too important to ignore. I guess the best way to sum up what I felt about the style of writing is that it seemed as if the authors may have had just a touch of ADHD. Mr. Palomar in His Garden, is exactly what the title is saying, it's literally a man in his garden observing everything around him, and in this way the style of writing used could not be more perfect. I don't think I could ever give you a time when I'm observing something that my thoughts are rhythmic and in perfect order, when you are observing you are constantly noticing new things and sounds and in that way Mr. Palomar is His Garden is observing and rather than keeping it to himself putting it into words on paper. The way that things are described have a very elegant and attractive way of making me want to read more, it's strange how something so simple can pull me in. Even though I find myself pulled in by this story, it was not the case for all of the short stories assigned, some of the other authors lost me in the middle. For an author I feel as if this could be a terrible thing if you cannot keep your reader engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment