Sunday, March 28, 2010

Georges Perec

This week we were assigned readings from Georges Perec. I had never heard of Perec before and was excited as ever to read a new writers work. Perec's style of writing, using lipograms, was something completely new to me. I had never considered writing in a way that limits the writer. Not only does using lipograms change the way a story is written, it creates new challenges for the writer them self. After reading the history of the Lipogram I realized that writing without a single letter, especially when that letter is a vowel, can prove to be extremely challenging. I found the concept of removing a letter of the alphabet after each stanza of a poem interesting. To me, using this stylistic technique would turn the visual qualities of the poem while on paper into a work of art itself. I imagined looking at a poem written down on paper with ink. Slowly, after each line, the poem would have transformed until it contains no letters at all. I'm looking forward to discussing Lipograms in this weeks class.

No comments:

Post a Comment