Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Void

This week we are starting to read Georges Perec's novel 'A Void'. I was very interested to read this novel because of the interesting fact that it is entirely written without the letter 'e'. I was very intrigued by this and wondered how it would have been able to be done, especially when it is translated. I thought that the task of writing an entire book without using the letter 'e' was a great inspiration for this book. Also the idea for this book that they are trying to find Vowl is interesting. When I first started reading the book I found myself thinking that it was interesting the guy's name that they were trying to find was Vowl because it is only one letter away from vowel, but that would use the letter 'e'. I wonder if that was some part of his inspiration or just some random irony. Either way it makes for an interesting book. I've never heard of a lipogram and this was an interesting concept for me to learn about this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment