Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Void & The Curse of The Maltese Falcon

As I read A Void, I noticed that a few words or phrases have been left in French. I found this distracting because the word lost meaning and complicated its context. After reading The Curse of The Maltese Falcon, this seemed even more significant than I thought. How Adair translated what Perec originally said completely changes the way we interpret the book in English. In order to produce an almost exact translation, he would have had to really study everything about A Void, beyond just the words written down. I wonder if leaving certain words in French helps keep the meaning that Perec intended, or changes it more so. Overall, I find A Void very hard to follow and understand. I grasp the sense of a constant void but I’m having trouble finding a greater meaning; what is Perec trying to say without actually saying?

No comments:

Post a Comment