Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Perec and Matthews

After reading the Matthews excerpt it became much more easy to understand Oulipo writing, and anything that came out of this particular writing style. I realized how hard it must have been for Perec while writing his book. Once I tried out the task of writing without a vowel I quickly realized that it pushes the writer (and reader) to look deeper into the text. While reading, I often find myself drifting off with my thoughts rather than intently taking in the words on the page. I think it would be damn near impossible to use this "skimming" method while trying to read Perec or anything classified as Oulipo. Like many of the different authors and writing genres we have encountered throughout this course I am able to find something intriguing in it. I had never before considered removing an actual character of the alphabet in effort to create meaning in a piece of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment