Sunday, April 4, 2010

A Void and Manifestos

After reading Manifestos I found it was easier to expand on what the Oulipo do. Before reading Manifestos I lacked a way to define the Oulipo and Perec. Now it has become apparent to me that the Oulipo are using different styles of writing to push creativity to its outermost limits. I always imagined Perec's removing of the letter "E" from his writing was somewhat of a gimmick. It seemed to me that he was doing it to draw in a base of readers and then using his captive audience to tell his mystery-esque story. However, I now think that it was wrong of me to consider Perec's writing style a gimmick. Instead I think his writing falls into a specific niche. The Oulipo are filling a niche that had never previously existed. that in itself I think it something creative. This is proof I believe that the Oulipo are successful in pushing the boundaries of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment