Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Perec and Benabou

The last section of “A Void” pulled some of the loose ends together for me. I now know how these seemingly random people were all connected. It wasn’t by chance that they were all killed, but there was a need to eradicate the entire family, who didn’t even know they were a family. Bénabou’s “Rule and Constraint” gave me a similar idea. Perec didn’t just randomly write a book using a constraint as a game as I had previously assumed. Bénabou talks about using a constraint as Perec did to free himself from all the other constraints of language that people unknowingly are constrained by. After reading “A Void” and the other readings that went with it, I still don’t quite understand how the Introduction is connected to the story. Is it just that Perec believes he should be able to speak his mind and go against the grain, or is there something more than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment